Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Parchment Paper

Howdy Crafters - I was in the mood to do up some more parchment papers. I was solo this time - it took 1.5 hours to complete 114 papers - love the crinkle. I have photo of my preparation table, the finished stack of parchment papers and a few shots of some I created today.

Tutorial below [I was inspired by Ellie W - her link is below for you to watch how she does it]
Thanks for stopping by. Gail
Getting my area and supplies ready to create Parchment paper

 Finished Stack of 114 Sheets
 The aluminum pan [2 for $1 at Dollar Tree] was used for this pattern


 Coffee Rings - use the rim of a quart jar or a coffee cup to get these rings


 I used Distress Ink and wrote Coffee


 Rainbow colors of Food Coloring


 Blick Water Color sprayed on paper

Gail Scott ~ Parchment Paper is EASY to Create! You can do it! ~ Sept. 2018 ~

I use my gas oven at 200 Degrees to bake my finished printer paper.

Supplies:

1. Regular Cookie Sheets or Aluminum Cookie sheets from the dollar store for baking your colored paper in the oven - I prefer the light weight dollar tree Aluminum Cookie sheets.

2. Aluminum roasting pans or rectangle baking dishes for coloring your paper

3. Several Cereal bowls or plates [for mixing food colors to make different colors]

4. Toothbrush, spoon, quart jar/coffee cup [use the rim for coffee rings], sponges that have the handle, paint brushes [a variety], water to mix food coloring for different shades - or other items to make prints and such - I have an aluminum pan that has circles in it [from dollar store] - this gives a nice effect

4. Printer paper

5. Food Coloring - you can use it directly from the bottle or mixed with water - I have done both depending on what look I want. 

However, a few drops of yellow food coloring in a bowl with some added water [about 1/8 cup or less]- will give you plenty of bright color on your paper- experiment to see what colors you would like to create and shades: light, dark, medium etc.


Mix the colors such as Red and Green to get shades of browns.  Yellow + Blue = green    Yellow + red = Orange 

Blue + Red= purple [you can get info on the internet for mixing different colors to get a new color.


I have also used TH Distress Stains and sprays on my paper and used in the oven. The coffee grounds with hot water did not work for me very well - I guess I do not know how to do that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bake my prepared papers in a 200 Degree gas oven for a few minutes - usually less than 5 minutes - depends on how WET the paper is - when you have a sheet of paper that is very wet - put another sheet of paper on top of that - press on it - now you have 2 sheets to bake

After coloring, I lay the paper on cookie sheets - 2 sheets per cookie sheet - or you can stack them - I have tried stacking and it works - just keep checking the oven and rotating pages so they dry - find what works best for you.

* I have used the back of a spoon to dip in the solution and smooth around the paper- I have poured the solution on my paper to get the paper entirely covered.

* A Toothbrush gives a different effect - craft sponges [the one with a handle] works great too - as well as paint brushes to get your food coloring mixture on your paper - make designs, swirls, etc. on your paper to give a different look.  Unlimited to what you can do when creating your paper - use your imagination.

* For coffee rings - take a jar and dip the rim into food color mixture then start stamping on the page with the jar - gives a nice effect.

There is so much you can do in creating parchment paper and I love the CRINKLE after the paper dries.  [You can iron your paper with a craft iron - I have not tried that but I read that somewhere].

Use your finished parchment paper for Journal pages - card fronts, tags, etc.

I have STAMPED on the parchment paper with clear and rubber stamps. Works great for me.


Here is a tutorial by Ellie that got me started on using food coloring for Parchment Papers - thank you Ellie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD0Y8RTXWrE

Sharing with this challenge:

2 comments:

  1. You are busy with parchment paper making & putting it to good use.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these backgrounds you have created look so cool, love the arty and eclectic look.Thanks so much for sharing your creation at the

    October 2018 Anything goes link-up at Just Keep On Creating.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - it is an honor to have you visit and comment with kindness on my blog - have a blessed day.